Integrate and Configure an LDAP Server
Version 2.4.0 of DW Spectrum introduced LDAP/Active Directory integration support.
Why is LDAP integration useful?
Integrating DW Spectrum with an OpenLDAP or Active Directory system allows DW Spectrum administrators to quickly integrate DW Spectrum with an organization's existing user rights management platform. Using the LDAP feature in DW Spectrum allows DW Spectrum System Administrators to:
- Link an existing LDAP-based system to DW Spectrum.
- Fetch users from existing LDAP system in DW Spectrum.
- Assign access rights to LDAP users in DW Spectrum.
- Use existing LDAP user passwords to log in to DW Spectrum.
Setting up LDAP Integration in DW Spectrum
Follow the steps below to setup integration between an LDAP database and DW Spectrum.
Step 1: Open the User Management Dialog.
- Click on the main menu button and choose System Administration.
- In the System Administration dialog and choose Users.
Step 2: Configure LDAP Settings
- Click on the LDAP Settings... button to launch the LDAP Settings dialog.
- Fill in the Server URL, Admin DN, Password, Search Base, and Search Filter for your LDAP server. If you are unsure how to fill in this information talk to your LDAP system administrator for assistance.
- To check if your settings are correct and you are able to establish a connection to the target LDAP server press the Test button. If a test is completed successfully you will see a note that says Text completed successfully: ## users found.
- Once you have successfully tested the connection press OK.
Step 3: Fetch Users from LDAP
- Click on the Fetch Users from LDAP... button to import users from the now connected LDAP server.
- In the Fetch Users from LDAP dialog select the users you would like to import by checking the box. If you are connecting to a large LDAP database you can search for individual users by typing in the filter search bar.
- Once you have selected all targeted users press the Import Users button.
Step 4: Enable and define rights for new Users.
- You should now see all newly imported users from the LDAP database in the User Management dialog. Before a user can begin using DW Spectrum they must be enabled. Users imported by LDAP are not automatically enabled in DW Spectrum.
- To enable a newly imported LDAP user press the edit icon next to the target user you would like to modify (it looks like a pencil) and open the User Settings dialog.
- In the User Settings dialog check the Enabled checkbox and configure the user's Access Rights.
- Press OK.
- Confirm the user now has check marks next to both LDAP and Enabled in the User Management Dialog.
- Press OK.
- And you're done - newly imported and enabled users can now log in to DW Spectrum using their standard username and password from the LDAP system.